Friday, October 27, 2006

i knew you were coming

do you believe in esp? i believe in connection. what's that? something like what happened the other morning: i was flipping through the international herald trib, the way i do most mornings these past 5 odd years, looking for something interesting to read (other than the usual politics and money and cries of aaaaa we're about to be nuked), and there was this piece on a young new name in restaurants and luxury hotels. good looking, loaded, lebanese man, forget his name. now there i read about london's most celebrated chef and restaurant owner, gordon ramsay, and his ever fab savoy grill. nice article, hmm gordon ramsay, can we afford a meal at one of his restaurants if i'm ever in that part of the world again? so went a few thoughts before the mundane goings on of everyday managed to pull me away from all that. later the same day, i visited what jacob (the man i've been living with 21 years) calls my shrine: takashimaya department store, basement 1, household department. wedgwood, royal doulton, schott sweizel, noritake, villeroy & boch, reidel, royal worcester, minton, has a basement ever been so elevated! as i walked in, eyes genuflecting before pristine porcelain, crystal and china, my gaze was drawn (yes, passive case, i did not look, my eyes were made to look thither) to a promotion counter. there lay plates, dishes, pasta plates, beautiful place settings in fine white china; wide, open, clean, modern look; very warm and welcoming dishes waiting to be decked with great looking and tasting food. i could see the table before me and my friends and fam having a blast around it. i walked up to the salesgirl, ah royal doulton i thought. she smiled at my mesmerised look and said this was a new line from the famous rd, it's called the gordon ramsay collection. and there was the man himself, sitting on the front cover of his hard bound book, displayed among the fine chinaware.

till that morning i hadn't heard of this man, and now he was not only in my newspaper but in my shrine. this connection had to be acknowledged. the promotion offer of settings for 6 people including lovely gr inscribed red wine glasses, helped. jacob was dragged to see the find, my clear eyed and innocent intention to acquire it was related, and after two weeks of being strong in the face of such massive force, he relented and gifted gordon ramsay to me on a plate, a pasta dish, and more. he paid up.

connection. that was a light fun (ok ok frivolous) example. but as i've grown older and let go a bit i seem to find it everywhere. it's like a constant chat between me and life, in here and out there, it happens when i let it, it's magic when it happens. whenever my intentions are clear, and i've dealt with things that take you away from the course: fear, envy, jealousy, sheer laziness, apathy, something out there comes and propels me to my goal. things, as they promise in all bad tv serials, work out. when they don't, either my mind was befuddled or it was not supposed to be for me. this, at 46, i can say i have not only hypothesized, but have carefully observed and inferred thereof.

intention. connection. and the role we play in our own life. must go more into this, esp with my daughter.

in the meantime mr gordon ramsay has invaded my television. the f word, his food show is big, over the top, generously layered with humour, and makes me want to cook. of course, i came across it by acci...? no, no chanc...? never, connection.

tonight we're using the plates again. i know it will be a great meal. coming?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?